HARBS --awesomest shortcakes in Tokyo

HARBS My love. <3 this cafe has the BEST strawberry shortcakes in Japan. Okay, I am lying because I haven't tried every single cake shop in Japan (my dream) but they are really the yummiest I have tried so far. They have quite a few branches around Tokyo. The first one I went to was the one in Kichijoji, where I lived 2 years back.



They also have a branch conveniently located in Shinjuku Lumine right next to the station, which is where I visited a couple of weeks back. Esther was going home back to Singapore so Olivia and I wanted to meet up with her one last time before she left. 

Olivia was craving strawberry shortcakes. I was in Shinjuku. That meant HARBS.

And we're certainly not the only one who thought that they had the awesome cakes.



Long story short we queued for 40min to get in. 
Usually the queue is slightly shorter that that but it was a Sunday (I think) in Shinjuku and almost 5 million people visit Shinjuku station a day so that couldn't be helped. 

And this is what you do when you are bored when you are queueing :-D


Cakes and tarts galore~!

So after 40 min it was finally our turn to go in. The place was completely full.


I couldn't decide what to get so I went out to look at the display again.


Not very helpful. Everything was so tempting I took forever to decide lah haha. Look at all that strawberry!



In the end all three of us ordered the same thing. Strawberry shortcake. Because it is really really the best.



Glorious glorious huge piece of shortcake. It was 800jpy (about 9.60SGD) per slice so it's not exactly the cheapest cake, but you will not regret it. 

You know how usually like most cake shops give you like one strawberry on top of a huge crapload of cream? This one. 3 strawberries on top of a heavenly fluffy layer of cream. 3 times the happiness.

The cream is fantastic. It is sooo smooth (I would even say silky) and light and sweet but not sickeningly sweet if you get what I mean. Just sweet enough to make me forget that every mouthful is probably a 10min walk to burn it off. D: Whatever it is it is really good. 

And it's not like they are lousy sour strawberries, these strawberries were delicious.
Maybe it's the magic of Japanese farming, I don't know, but Japanese strawberries are so good. Especially when it's in season (now) it's so cheap I have been buyin a tray of like 18 strawberries for 300JPY at Seiyu every few days haha.

Anw, the sponge cake itself is also very moist and fine and yummy. Dry sponges are :( (though I have never had bad spongecakes in Japan before) and some people brush the cake with syrup to keep it moist, but sometimes it just ends up too wet and sweet but this one was really just nice and delicious ToT <3 total love. Really. Omg just thinking of it makes me want to go back again.


Incidentally, Yone's birthday cake last year was also from HARBS! Look at all that strawberries! <3 <3 It was so good Esther and I ate like 3 slices each or something :x

Unfortunately strawberries are only in season until May, so the strawberry shortcakes will go off the menu at the end of May (but come back later) because they want to make sure you get the yummiest berries and cakes. So make sure you visit between November and May! Though I'm sure their other cakes are awesome as well.

One last group pic :)) 

All the best back in Singapore Esther! will miss youuu D*:

Oh lol. Fay is going back to HK soon too and we are going to indulge in some HARBS tmr hahaha!

----------------------------------------------

Harbs 

Homepage
http://www.harbs.co.jp/harbs/eng_top.html

Address
B2F, Lumine Est Shinjuku 3-38-1, Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo
Tel.03-5366-1538
[Weekday] OPEN 11:00 CLOSE 22:00 (21:30 Last Orders)
[Weekend and Holiday] OPEN 10:30 CLOSE 22:00 (21:30 Last Orders)
They have a branch in shibuya too. How convenient. 

No comments :

Post a Comment